Grants & Academic Outreach
NAASR RESEARCH GRANTS IN ARMENIAN STUDIES
The National Association for Armenian Studies and Research (NAASR) awards scholar grants for research within the field of Armenian Studies on a quarterly basis and considers applications from scholars throughout the world.
Deadlines for submission of a proposal are March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15. Submission of all materials via email is strongly recommended. Proposals are subject to approval by the NAASR Academic Committee and the NAASR Executive Committee. Applicants should expect a decision approximately six weeks after the deadline. Please adhere to the following guidelines in submitting a proposal:
- Grants may be awarded for travel, cost of digitization or microfilm or other research materials, in support of book publication costs, and for similar expenses. Grants are not issued to support requests outside of the field of Armenian Studies.
- Applicants are limited to one grant award per 12-month period. (E.g., an applicant who successfully applied for a grant at the June 15 quarterly deadline may not apply again until June 15 of the following year.)
- Proposals must be submitted at least three months prior to the event or project for which funding is sought.
- Stipends for living expenses in the applicant's own institution or home and scholarships to colleges and universities are excluded from consideration.
- Each applicant must state in detail the purpose and scope of the research project for which funding is sought. Applicants must also indicate the total amount of money required for the project and whether other sources have been approached, and provide the proposed itinerary if requesting travel funds.
- Required submissions include a curriculum vitae and recommendations from at least two persons of academic standing familiar with the applicant's previous work and proposed research.
- It is strongly recommended that you contact NAASR at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting materials for consideration. Materials must be received prior to the quarterly deadline to be considered.
- A copy of any book, article, report, or other work, the writing of which has been assisted by a grant, is to be deposited with NAASR.
- A final report and financial accounting is expected as soon as possible and within 12 months of a grant's issuance. Support of NAASR must be acknowledged in any publication resulting from a research grant.
- NAASR reserves the right of access to all microfilms, software, copies of documents, or other materials acquired with a NAASR grant.
KNIGHTS OF VARTAN FUND FOR ARMENIAN STUDIES
Since 2007, the National Association for Armenian Studies and Research (NAASR) and the Knights of Vartan have collaborated on administering the Knights’ Fund for Armenian Studies (FAS).
Proposals for grants are subject to approval by the NAASR Academic Committee and the Board of Trustees of the Knights of Vartan FAS. The same deadlines and other conditions apply for submission of proposals for Knights of Vartan grants as for NAASR.
The Knights of Vartan Fund for Armenian Studies provides fellowships and support for scholarly research and publication in the field of Armenian Studies to qualified scholars in any institution of higher learning, at the graduate or post-doctoral levels. Grants may also be made to fund lectures, seminars, and conferences. Funds are not available for undergraduate research or for work that falls outside the field of Armenian Studies.
Support of Knights of Vartan Fund for Armenian Studies must be acknowledged in any publication resulting from a research grant.
Other Grant Opportunities in Armenian Studies
NAASR Academic Advisory Committee
Prof. Kevork Bardakjian, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Prof. Valentina Calzolari, University of Geneva
Prof. Michael J. Connolly, Boston College
Prof. Bedross Der Matossian, University of Nebraska
Prof. Christina Maranci, Tufts University
Direct applications or inquiries to:
National Association for Armenian Studies and Research
395 Concord Ave.
Belmont, MA 02478
Telephone: (617) 489-1610